For most companies, the question is no longer whether or not to move their business online, but whether to choose an on-premise or a cloud-based ecommerce platform. Last week Adam Goldschmiedt, Pixafy Director of Service and Operations had the pleasure of participating in the Shopify Plus & Enterprise Ecommerce Platform Advisor Roundtable. The discussion highlighted key ecommerce trends including marketplace improvements. It is expected that cloud-based enterprise commerce platforms will continue to gain share and be the main source of online commerce enablement software.
Here are the key takeaways from the event:
- 1. Shopify’s biggest competitive advantage is its simplicity and that it “just works.” That lets Shopify focus on what matters most and driving initiatives for future growth rather than constantly fixing what is broken.
- 2. Shopify provides clear value on both the SMB merchant side as well as on the enterprise level, led by the ability for merchants to continue to grow on the platform, rarely ever having the necessity to replatform to other ecommerce software solutions. This has led to Shopify’s basic tiers being a driver for Shopify Plus.
- 3. In the competitive landscape there are areas in which both Shopify Plus and Magento excel individually, areas where they overlap and compete for business, and both are becoming more competitive in general with the larger enterprise ecommerce platforms.
- 4. Shopify should have significant pricing opportunity for some time to come, particularly as it improves its product.
- 5. Shopify’s omnichannel capability is a differentiator, including marketplace and social commerce integrations as well as its POS/in-store capabilities.
- 6. Custom ecommerce platforms are becoming rarer, although are still a necessity for especially complex businesses.
For more great insights into ecommerce trends, various enterprise platforms and the role they play in the digital commerce ecosystem, access the full event report here.